… be ye doers of the Word… (James 1:22)
The Anglican Parish of Lower Hutt serves the people of Lower Hutt, Moera, Alicetown, Maungaraki, Habourview, Tirohanga, Belmont and Kelson (though some members come from further afield). It offers worship, fellowship, small group, elderly and children’s ministry. We offer children’s and youth fellowship and Christian discipleship via children’s music groups, Sunday schools and youth groups.
The congregation is one of the oldest in the Wellington district having occupied the present site, or near to it, since the early 1840s (read more history).
MISSION: To love and share Christ
VISION: To be a thriving intergenerational and multicultural community sharing the good news of Jesus Christ
- Honouring God: We honour God by worship and prayer
- Discipleship: We follow Christ’s example and teaching, discipling others to do the same
- Spirit-led: We seek the guidance and empowerment of the Holy Spirit
- Loving Relationships: We care for, support and respect others
- Church Family: As whānau we share our lives as the body of Christ
- Missional: We represent our faith in the community in which we live, and the wider world
- Stewardship:We are committed to good stewardship of our time, talents and money in God’s service
- Care of Creation: To love and care for God’s creation and have a voice in the community
James wrote in his letter to “all God’s people scattered over the whole world” James 1:1
“Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only” James 1:22
Our Parish Crest reminds us that our lives are a pilgrimage with God.
Pilgrim Hat – protecting us from sun and heat. God provides for us on our journey.
Pilgrim Staff – the walking stick that we lean on – Jesus who shoulders the yoke with us; the Body of Christ, our companions on the journey whom we lean on too.
Pilgrim Shell – badge worn by pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago de Compostalla; sign of commitment to our journey; recognised by those who offer hospitality along the way.
Cross – we take up our crosses and walk the way of vulnerable rejoicing pilgrims with Jesus.
The Anglican Parish of Lower Hutt is part of the Anglican Diocese of Wellington. The Diocesan Mission Statement is:
We are family, we are disciples, we care for the last, the lost, and the least